What Are 5 Warning Signs of Enlarged Prostate?
Navigating prostate health can be challenging. Prostate enlargement, medically known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), is a common condition that can significantly impact quality of life. Understanding the early warning signs is essential for receiving care quickly. With expertise from Dr. Austen Slade, a Boise urologist, we aim to help men proactively manage their prostate health.
The 5 Concerning Signs of Enlarged Prostate
The enlargement of the prostate comes along with concerning signs and symptoms that can help you recognize that you may have an issue and that you should visit a doctor.
- Frequent Urination: Arises as the obstructing prostate prevents effective bladder emptying, the bladder muscle may also thicken and lose the ability to store or empty urine efficiently.
- Difficulty Starting and Stopping the Stream: Occurs when the enlarged prostate affects normal urinary function.
- Weak Urine Flow: The pressure from an enlarged prostate impacts urine flow, making it less forceful.
- Inability to Completely Empty the Bladder: An enlarged prostate can obstruct the outflow of urine which prevents complete bladder emptying.
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs): Can occur due to incomplete bladder emptying caused by prostate enlargement and resulting in an environment for bacterial growth.
What Causes an Enlarged Prostate?
Prostate enlargement is primarily linked to aging, as the chances of the prostate gland enlarging naturally increase as men get older.
Other common factors for prostate enlargement are:
- Hormonal imbalances, like testosterone and estrogen
- Family history of BPH
- Lifestyle and health conditions, like obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease
How Can BPH Be Treated?
Dr. Slade offers several advanced treatments for BPH, ranging from minimally invasive procedures to innovative therapies using water vapor. Learning about your options for BPH treatment is important.
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP): A minimally invasive procedure that uses laser energy to remove obstructive prostate tissue.
- ReZum Water Vapor Therapy: An innovative therapy using water vapor to effectively reduce prostate tissue and alleviate the symptoms of BPH.
- Optilume BPH: An approach involving a medication-coated balloon that widens the prostate, improving urination without impacting sexual function.
Contact Boise Urologist Dr. Slade for Enlarged Prostate Treatment
Are you concerned about prostate enlargement or experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned? The only endourologist in Idaho with fellowship training under renowned experts James Lingeman, Marcelino Rivera, and Tim Large, Dr. Slade brings a wealth of knowledge and experience in treating BPH.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Slade today for an expert evaluation and to explore the most effective treatment options for your condition.
Contact Dr. Austen Slade to make an appointment and take the first step to better prostate health.